Our gums and supporting bone are the foundations for our teeth. Like the foundations of a house if our gum foundations fail we are at risk of losing our teeth.
Gum disease is caused by an overgrowth of toxic bacteria in our mouth and gut.
There are different levels of severity of gum disease and symptoms range from bleeding gums to teeth that are so loose they fall out.
Current research has linked gum disease to birth defects, some cancers and even dementia and Alzheimers disease. The good thing is, when caught early, gum disease can be easily treated and reversed.
Six monthly check ups and cleans are essential in maintaining not just a healthy mouth but also a healthy body.
Common Signs of periodontal disease
- Red, tender or swollen gums
- Bleeding gums while brushing, flossing or eating
- Loosening teeth or increasing gaps between the teeth
- Receding gums or appearing ‘long’ in the tooth
- Bad breath (halitosis) or bad taste
- Changes in the bite
Prevention and Management
- Brush and floss daily
- Eat lots of fibrous fruit and vegies and cut back on sugar
- Attend your dentist regularly for a professional clean
- Practice stress management
- Look after your gut health
- Stop smoking
1 Bryant Drive Tuggerah
Suite 413 Mariners Building, Tuggerah NSW 2259